We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
When the baby is 6 months old, he should start receiving another type of food that complements breast milk or artificial formula, despite the fact that milk continues to be his main food until 12 months. You need to supplement your nutritional requirements to continue your proper growth and development and maintain optimal health. What should be the complementary feeding of the baby?
The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends exclusive breastfeeding up to 6 months and then supplemented with solid foods, which will be offered to the baby in the best possible shape and texture to avoid possible choking or other preventable accidents. In addition, it recommends continuing breastfeeding up to 2 years and more if the mother and the child wish.
The period of complementary feeding covers the ages between 6 and 24 months of age, where nutritional deficiencies or deficiencies and the presence of diseases or infectious processes can influence the increase of malnutrition or malnutrition in children under 5 years of age.
Therefore, the start of complementary feeding at the appropriate age (6 months) and the offer of adequate food both in texture, shape, quantity and quality (nutrients) will contribute to reduce the incidence of pathologies in the child and, thus, to optimal growth and development of it.
Currently you can start complementary feeding with any type of food (red and white meat, vegetables, legumes, fruits), including the so-called allergens (citrus, fish, egg, etc.), since it has been proven that by delaying its introduction (after one year) allergic reactions can be greater.
The use of salt, sugar and honey if it is contraindicated, at least up to 2 years, to avoid damage to the kidneys, cavities, obesity and botulism, which is a very serious disease, produced by a neurotoxic bacteria called Clostridium botulinum contained in Honey.
AND the introduction of water will also be done after 6 months, being the most advisable to offer it after the food to avoid that your gastric capacity is filled with a liquid that does not contain nutrients.
After the sixth month, the baby is considered to be more developed and more mature in terms of its digestive, endocrine, renal and neuromotor systems (Central Nervous System). In this way, you will be able to accept, digest and process food in the best possible way and with the lowest incidence of complications, such as choking or drowning, gastrointestinal and infectious diseases, obesity, poor nutrition, diabetes and / or allergic type diseases.
To avoid such setbacks and for the start of complementary feeding to be successful, it is convenient to start it from 6 months, although it is important to note that there may be children who at 6 months are not yet ready to receive food, so it is It is convenient to wait until the conditions are given.
It does not hurt that before starting with the complementary feeding, consult your pediatrician so that he will tell you if he sees that the child is ready to eat 'everything'. Probably in consultation you will examine the child and take into account the following aspects:
- That he is 6 months old.
- Show interest in food.
- That has lost the extrusion reflection (removes food from mouth with tongue).
- That he can sit alone or, at least, to support his trunk and head, since we can sit him on the lap or sit them with support.
The classic way of introducing food to the baby is through baby food, creams, soups, that is, smoothies. But more and more mothers are opting for the so-called BLW (Baby Led Weaning), which is the introduction of solid foods of a suitable shape, texture and size so that the baby itself feeds on its own. Other moms choose to make a mixed one, which is the mixture of the previous two.
In addition to this information that you have read, I want to go on to give you some tips that you have to keep in mind before starting with complementary baby feeding:
1. Solid foods complement, not replace breastfeeding. Breastfeeding and / or artificial feeding remains the main food up to 12 months, so it should be offered first before solid food. And, as the study 'Take your milk to breast!' By the Spanish Association of Pediatrics says, breastfeeding is a right.
2. Try to stay calm, we can transmit anxiety to our babies and it is not advisable to scare them.
3. When offering food, do not distract them with music, television or videos, since your attention will move away from the food and you will have no interest in eating.
4. Do not self-medicate. If any food produces an allergic reaction, you should stop it immediately and consult your pediatrician.
5. Keep in mind that this is a process that may be slow in some babies And all of a sudden they may not be very successful at first, because they have no interest in food or eat little. In this case, you have to go little by little and not force them to eat, as it can generate rejection of food.
6. Do not make comparisons.Each child has a different maturation and development that allows them to start their complementary feeding successfully or not.
You can read more articles similar to Complementary baby feeding: new recommendations, in the Babies category on site.